Social skills are those skills which helps people to be more socialist and interactive with each other. These skills may be improved by both verbal and non-verbal communication. Developing good social skills are very important for leading a healthy, happy and peaceful life. Studies have showed that there is a positive correlation between social skills and mental health. There are some ways by improving which we can develop our social skills.
- Listening:We have two ears and one tongue so that we can hear twice than talking once. This is probably the most unpracticed method adopted by us. We have a great tendency to become self-centered while it comes to any discussion where we are always one step ahead from opposite person in sharing only our personal view. This is very bad because it may act as boomerang when it comes from another aspect. Always keep the mental focus on that person you are talking to and listening to instead of sharing your own thoughts. This is important because when you are placing the focus outside of yourself it automatically makes you less self-centered and your effort to get attracted by all will decrease gradually. When you will start to listen carefully what the opposite person are saying the conversation become more fruitful and effective. You can ask open-ended questions which will give more words than a simple yes or no answer. Most of the people never listen to other, but when you will not be amongst them then only you can guide others.
- Show interest in the other person:If you show more interested in people you are with then you will automatically become a better listener as you are actually showing interested in them. It becomes very easy to find out what the other person is really passionate about and to wipe out the negative assumptions that can spoil the entire communication. If you really listen to what the other person is saying then you may find interested in him or her which shows that you are really enjoying the company of that person. As per the words of Del Carnegie it’s not at all tough to create and improve relationships if you start focus on the other person rather than on yourself. This is important because people often don’t want to listen that much from other. So you can create a beautiful exception among the others who are eagerly waiting for their space to talk again. But the main reason is that you are the one who make them feel good because of your attention and showing interest on them.
- Stop auto focusing yourself:If you talk and talk and talk then naturally there will be a short and little time or energy listening. But if you start to focus outward instead of inward then your mind will become more and more focused on others and you have a less time for talking in very incomprehensible way. It’s the tendency of almost all people to be the center of all attraction in any social gathering but this will only results the criticism about you.
- Try to keep a positive attitude:Your attitude is the mirror of your inner self and it’s the one of the important points to improve to be more socially skilled person. Having positive attitude is a good habit just like eating or doing daily exercise. It is not at all hard to get start and always try to slow going at first. But when your mind habituates with this new behavior it comes automatically.
- Use silence mood:You can avoid many negative situation or problematic situation by keeping silent. It’s a very good habit to adopt as silence tends to such state of mind by which you can be more patient in real life and this skill leads you a really peaceful stage where you have been able to control your anger and any overreaction toward anything.
- Change in body language and eye contact:Our body language and way of using eye contacts plays a very important role on developing positive social skill. Being too casual or too professional is not all are expecting when you are in middle of many people. Always try to calm and cool when you are in pool of people his will helps other to be more comfortable to talk to you. Avoiding eye contact while talking to others showing you’re less interested towards them or their communication.
So, it’s very important to develop well social skills because when your body is interested then automatically your mind gets focused on what you said.