Negotiation is a beautiful art and also a science because a well calculation is there and the good news for you is that it can be learned by some good process. The importance of adopting a research in case of negotiation cannot be overlooked. You need to be ready with a pool of information if possible as you have to face lots of typical questions by the recruiters. There are many websites from where you can search the exact amount of payouts to be paid like the job you are presently in and can talk to people in your previous industry. This will give you a fair idea of increase of salary and what people are getting in similar industry. The more you are getting prepared with data the more you will become confident making the first offer. Salary increase generally depends on some factors like the responsibilities, your performance, market rate and ROI of the person hired. So don’t get confused about what you are getting right now and what you should be paid for your performance. There are few tips which you need to know about negotiation and salary increase.
- Know your worth:If you’re going to negotiate your pay you think you deserve, it’s very important to know the current rate for your position you are hired in your specific industry and in your area. You can easily do this by making an online search on various websites such as Payscale or Glassdoor, or by asking others who are in your field or to both men and women to avoid gender partiality).
- Pick the top range: While doing your research, you will find a range that represents your current market value. It can be more alluring to ask for increase in the middle of the range, but you should ask for increment toward the top. As per the wordings of She Negotiates founder Victoria Pynchon, you should assume that you’re entitled to a top salary. Secondly, it is the common tendency of employer to negotiate down, so you need as ample scope to end up the process with a salary you’re comfortable with.
- Walk in the room with confidence:The way you’re entering the room can forecast the weather of the rest of an interaction session. To enter in the employer room with shaky legs and hands with having sweat all over your face will give the employer the weapon to demolish you. Keep your head always high and keep a short smile when you enter. You should start things with a positive tone no matter how small and less-important it is.
- Show them your ability:Before you start talking about the increase of your salary you should talk about what you’ve done before and most importantly what you can do or they can expect from you.
- Focus on future by enlightening on present: When you are negotiating salary salary for a new job, it’s the very common tendency of the company or even the present recruiter under which you are working to ask about your present package. It can be a difficult situation especially when you are being paid less at your current job but it’s advisable to be true to him/her.
- Stop using range:You should never use the range of amount when negotiating your salary. That will indicate that you’re not much sure about your value and as a result the person you’re negotiating with will definitely jump to the smaller amount.
- Focusing the market value:You should make him aware of the fact that as the market value are increasing it will automatically leads to a salary increment. You should keep the conversation focused on what the market is going to pay for other people like you who are in same field.
- Listen what they say: It is very crucial to listen to the other party when a negotiation process is going on and it is almost very important with regards to your words and argument. By paying attention to the other person’s saying you are making him feel that he is important to you in one side and on other side you will be able understand his or her intention towards your salary increment which makes both of you happy.
- Getting motivation from their ‘No’:There may be a scope of rejection but a negotiation doesn’t actually start until and unless someone says “no.” It’s not really a negotiation if there is no bargaining about our demand. Negotiation is a process by which someone is finalizing an agreement with other whose interests are not perfectly matched with yours. So be sure that the word “no” is just part of this process and not at all a statement.
There are many other ways to negotiate and increase salary but these are the mostly used and very effective. But above all keep your confidence level high and be true and positive towards your main aim.